Old December 8th 18, 10:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Default Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 19:41:10 -0000 (UTC), Mike Collins
wrote:
Kurt Vonnegut had a Martian calendar in 1959.
The Martian year was divided into twenty-one months, twelve with

thirty
days, and nine with thirty-one. These months were named January,

February,
March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November,
December, Winston, Niles, Rumfoord, Kazak, Newport, Chrono,

Synclastic,
Infundibulum, and Salo.
Mnemonically:
Thirty days have Salo, Niles, June, and September,
Winston, Chrono, Kazak, and November,
April, Rumfoord, Newport, and Infundibulum,
Vonnegut assumed a Martian year of 669 days, but then accidentally

included
one 30-day month too few, since his year has only 639 days.

A snflar calendar on Jupiter would have to have about 300 months of
about 30 days each. Perhaps we should refrain from trying to name
these months and just number them instead? Just like we've done with
the dates. The ancient Roman's also named the dates. Remember the
Ides of March?