Old November 1st 03, 03:25 PM
Dr John Stockton

Default Cheap Realistic Space Flight

JRS: In article MPG.1a0bc43169ef91be989695@news, seen in
news:rec.arts.sf.science, Bernardz
posted at Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:58:59 :-
In article , says...
What's the cheapest cost to orbit a chemical rocket is likely to
yield in the next fifty years? Will we see $100/pound to orbit?
How about $10/pound? And what underlying technology will
this rocket use?

NASA was talking a few years ago of getting it to $1000/pound in the
future. No way will they achieve it soon.

NASA cannot do it, but the US Government might.

The Dollar is currently the least valuable unit of the major Western
countries, and, like almost all currencies, its value in real terms
(technological equipment apart) continues to fall.

There is very little in the UK that is normally bought as an individual
purchase for which the per-item cost is not a multiple of 5 pence
(except for cases such as £x.99); we hardly need our coppers now.
Presumably the cent is in a similar situation to the penny.

So it would be logical, in the foreseeable future, to redenominate the
Dollar; a new Dollar worth ten old Dollars, with the loss of present
coins under 10c, would be convenient (the change might be as popular as
changing to metric; but the situation needs to be faced. Granted, the
Italians managed with their lire).

That would, of course, at a stroke reduce NASA's Dollar costs tenfold.

FYI, the Soviets achieved a similar redenomination, probably by a factor
of 100, almost overnight, IIRC.

ISTM that there is too much stress on CATS, and more overt attention
should be paid to RATS. Where RATS lead(s), CATS follow(s).

R = Reliable.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;