Old November 1st 03, 11:23 AM
Bernardz

Default Cheap Realistic Space Flight

In article ,
says...
Bernardz wrote:
In article ,
says...

What's the cheapest cost to orbit a chemical rocket is likely to
yield in the next fifty years? Will we see $100/pound to orbit?
How about $10/pound? And what underlying technology will
this rocket use?

NASA was talking a few years ago of getting it to $1000/pound in the
future. No way will they achieve it soon.

But you need to specify more details.

Say it costs you $X to develop the rockets
Say you build a launch pad for $Y
Say each rocket costs $Z
Say each rocket carries P pounds

and use it to fire N rockets

Then your cost per rocket per pound = (x+y+z) * P / N

N at present is probably the most disappointing figure.

try
(X + Y + Z*N) / (P*N)

You are of course correct.

or
(X+Y+Z)/P for the first rocket
Z/P for each additional
X and Y will realistically far exceed Z.

Depends on whether you write off X and Y or whether you depreciate it.

In real terms I would expect that the cost of the rocket will be a minor
cost compared to the development costs.

--
I hope that God's behaviour improves in the future?