Old December 6th 07, 07:34 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Eric Gisse[_2_]

Default Random thought: Dark Matter & Dark Energy vs. Strong & Weak Nuclear Forces

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:29:17 -0500, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

A random thought that just entered my mind a few days back was what if
Dark Energy and Dark Matter were really aspects respectively of the Weak
and Strong Nuclear Forces acting out on the cosmic scale? They kind of
act the same. The Dark Matter sort of acts like the Strong Force: holds
the outer edges of a galaxy from falling off, and holds the galaxies
together in clusters, but seems to mysteriously disappear the closer you
get to the centre of a galaxy. And then the Dark Energy sort of acts
like the Weak Force: it is limp-wristed against the Strong at close
distances, but go out far enough and it just dominates the Strong.

Not even close.

The relative strengths are wrong, the scales involved exclude both,
the observed distribution of dark matter and energy excludes both, the
behavior of both dark matter and dark energy exclude both, and a
general ability to think should exclude the thought.

In fact, there are no similarities between the two sets whatsoever.

We've also heard those theories about what if our Universe were just an
atom within a larger Super-Universe (SuperVerse)? Then if it's merely an
atom (or maybe more like a molecule) of the Superverse, then why not
have the Superverse's version of the nuclear forces acting on it? That
way the galaxies are just the quarks. They form up into clusters, which
are just the atomic nucleii. The clusters come together to form a single
complex molecule, with the intergalactic gas being the electron cloud.

I'm sure it sounds pretty kooky, but has anyone else thought of
correlating the nuclear forces out at the cosmic level?

No, because both the electroweak and strong nuclear forces are
mediated by massive particles whose ranges are signiciantly smaller
than the size of everything macroscopic.

Yousuf Khan