Old March 24th 09, 04:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: Arp 24

They do have a bit more resolution! Still you can see most of those
star clouds in my shot, just not the detail in them.

Rick

Adriano wrote:
Hey Rick,

Found an HST pic of it for you. I'm not sure it's any easier to pick out
the spiral structure or not but there it is. Neat galaxy.

Rick Johnson wrote:

I'm returning to Arp galaxies with Arp 24, NGC 3445 in Ursa Major.
Looking at my image you might think it belongs under the class of
spiral with bright companions on arms but that would be wrong. It's
classed under one armed spirals. The galaxy that appears to be on
the end of that arm, PGC 32784, isn't mentioned by Arp. Red shift
shows NGC 3445 to be 103 light years away while the apparent
companion, PGC 32784, has a red shift distance of 88 million light
years. Most sources however consider these an interacting pair even
with the different red shift distances. The difference can be due to
gravitational interaction and not a real relative distance indicator.
There are two other galaxies in the image that are quite likely
associated with Arp 24. They are NGC 2440 to the upper right at about
100 million light years and NGC 3458 to the upper left at a red shift
distance of 91 million light years.

The spiral structure of Arp 24 isn't all that well defined with the
one arm being very broad and ill defined. It is full of star clusters
and likely emission nebula if my resolution were higher.

Image scale 1" per pixel