Old October 4th 10, 01:48 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

Default Future Robotic Shuttles?

In article ee37ec66-a091-43b0-b5fd-
, says...

On Sep 30, 2:52*am, JF Mezei wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:
I agree that they don't have to be done by the same vehicle, but why do
you say they should not be done by the same vehicle?

safety why risk a crews life for any reason when automatic systems can
do the job?

This tired argument again. The risk is worth it. If we didn't believe
so, we wouldn't fund manned spaceflight in the first place. Instead,
the US would do nothing but send unmanned satellites and probes out into
space.

Also, FedEx, and other mail/package carriers, operate cargo aircraft
that are *all* manned. There is always risk to these crews, but the
fact of the matter is that the presence of the crew makes the mission
safer. And because the mission is safer, it makes the possibility of
collateral damage to innocent people on the ground less.

Only in the military where aircraft are being routinely shot at does
your argument begin to make sense.

Jeff
--
42