Old April 2nd 18, 12:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NOAA VIDEO FOR YOU

In article ,
says...

On 2018-04-01 16:08,
wrote:

What was the Starman Incident?

SpaceX continued to broadcast live video from stage 2 showing its red
car in foreground and the Earth in background.

It broadcasted from high enough altitude to show that the Earth may in
fact be round instead of flat, and this is considered too controversial,
like evolution/creation, climate change etc etc.

I know it's April 1st, but no, that's bull****. NOAA is the agency in
charge of issuing permits for earth observation satellites. This has
nothing to do with those idiot flat earthers.

I suspect this dates back to the days where USA government controlled
technology to ensure its military had the best (thinking only USA could
produce superior tech such as encryption).

But an "rights" basis, I suspect such NOAA rules would be struck down at
an international tribunal since no single country owns the rights to the
Earth and can't prevent taking pictures of it.

Bull****. The US has jurisdiction over what its citizens, and its
corporations, do in space. They're well within their rights here,
except for the bit where the cameras are so low resolution (in terms of
pixel size on the surface of the earth) that it's laughable.

Jeff