Old April 2nd 18, 12:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NOAA VIDEO FOR YOU

In article ,
says...
It's curious that all previous Iridium launches were allowed to stream
live through all 10 satellites being deployed. Me thinks that the
Starman "incident" put a bug up some middle level NOAA manager's butt.

What was the Starman Incident?

The Falcon Heavy launch included a long coast phase in earth orbit
before the final earth departure burn. During that time SpaceX
continued to live stream video of Starman with the 2nd stage rotating
such that the earth kept coming into frame. NOAA is technically in
charge of issuing permits for earth observation satellites. SpaceX
didn't apply for such a permit (since it was the 2nd stage of the launch
vehicle showing the video, not an "actual" payload). Someone at NOAA
clearly was not happy about this incident.

Jeff