Old October 8th 11, 03:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Peter Webb[_4_]

Default The greatest genius who ever lived?

"Davoud" wrote in message
Peter Webb:
Modern market economies are based on very Darwinian concepts of
competition
for scarce resources and survival of the fittest.

I think that Darwin was talking about species rather than individuals.
He struggled to understand altruism in the context of his theory, and
evolutionists have yet to adequately understand altruism.

Bull****.

Have you never read "The Selfish Gene" (for example) which considers
altrusim at length (as one might expect from the title)?

It cannot be denied, however, that unbridled greed, the foundation of
the capitalist system, is an exceedingly powerful motivator.

The foundation of the capitalist system is not *unbridled* greed.

Marx is a historical footnote in comparison; the inventor of an economic
system that didn't work.

That's one opinion. Others would opine that Marx was the proponent of
an economic system that has never been implemented, so it is impossible
to say whether it would work or not.

This would seem to eliminate Marx from a list of the world's greatest
geniuses, if his theories have never been used successfully.

Recall that I did not say that Marx was the greatest philosopher known
to have lived, but I indicated that his philosophy is estimable and
worthy of consideration along with that of other great philosophers.

No its not.

Firstly, the issue is "genius", not whether they were good philosphers.

Secondly, economic systems built on Marxist principles didn't actually work.

If you are looking for a list of the greatest geniuses of history, there are
plenty who had ideas that were correct and changed the world for the better.
Marx is not among them.

Davoud

--
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything
that

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm