Old February 9th 04, 07:02 PM
Hop David

Default Any interest in more live MER Mission Control Coverage?

Stephen Ondine wrote:
"David Fred" wrote in message

Hello all,

Today I started a petition suggesting additional live coverage on NASA
TV and/or web-based streams of JPL Mission Control. The motivation for
this came from folks hanging out in the Maestro [1] IRC channel
(irc.freenode.net, #maestro).

There seemed to be a broad consensus that the live Mission Control
coverage on the night of the Opportunity landing was both compelling and
valuable programming. If you are interested in reading and possibly
signing the petition, please see:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mercov/petition.html

The petition will be forwarded to NASA/JPL after a suitable number of
signatures have been gathered.

Feel free to repost this URL and/or message in any appropriate venue...

Regards,

David

[1] Maestro is available at: http://mars.telascience.org/

I've been going on about this for some time. We have the Mars landers and
all the excitement but where is the two-hour Mars TV spectacular with all
the images and a couple of scientists hosting the show and explaining the
technology and the significance of the images to the viewers?
No point in hiding the light of such a great success.
I'd watch the repeats of it too.

Alan Bedford.

Depending on production, I'd think such a show could range from very
interesting to hideously boring. However, I'd think there'd be a few
competent folks that'd help out. IIRC Colliers and Disney helped ignite
early interest in space. Today, I'd think folks like Spielberg would be
happy to be a part of this.

A partnership between NASA and competent film makers could produce some
salable products. A way to generate revenue for space exploration?

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html