Old November 8th 04, 08:34 PM
Len

Damon Hill wrote in message . 134...
Pat Flannery wrote in
:

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/new...kly_story.jsp?
id=news/SSO11014.xml

What's this four-engine souped-up hotrod going to
look like?

Could a MiG-25 be modified for similar performance?

--Damon

As leader for the first stage on the Coleman RASCAL
Phase I effort, I seriously considered the MiG-25.
In the existing aircraft category, we finally ended
up with the F-14 as being most suitable for RASCAL.

We believed--and continue to believe--that a new
aircraft would bust the DARPA RASCAL budget, which
it already has.

Our post-RASCAL effort suggests that a rocket-powered
F-14A with readily available TF-30 engines could exceed
RASCAL payload and cost goals with very little modification
other than addding the rocket system. Our calculations
suggest that we could take 4000 kg to mach 2.5 and 21 km.
Separation would still be at low q--albeit not the 1 psf
DARPA goal.

Best regards,
Len (Cormier)
PanAero, Inc.