Old November 6th 20, 06:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Used, beaten up rockets gaining popularity !

Snidely writes:

JF Mezei quipped:

I sure hope Boeing/Lockheed has some skunkworks developping re-usable
rocket ASAP.

A future Vulcan upgrade is the SMART package, for engine recovery with mid-air
snagging. See the wikiparticle.

/dps

This IS reusing the most expensive part of the rocket, however I don't
see how this competes with either at sea or RTLS landing of the entire
stage. Snagging the Vulcan engine assembly mid air will be a little more
complicated (quite doable just more complicated) and still requires
re-assembly of a new stage each time 'round. Once Starship is flying
this will also become an economic dog by comparison.

Dave