Old January 31st 04, 01:15 AM
Kevin Willoughby

Default Rover brains?

In article ,
says...
In article ,
(Greg) wrote:

IMHO it's the code review process as well as the coding environment
that can make all the difference.

Yep. For the past 25 years, the software industry has repeatedly
discovered that having a second set of eyes see a program is the single
best way of improving quality.

ie managers that have the attitude
of "just get it done on time on matter what" are generally managers to
avoid.

It isn't just the managers. Long ago, I worked in a startup with very
good people. Except the managers of the development team. We developers
managed to create a good product despite the attitudes of our managers.

As for "get it done on time", well, you thought you had deadline
pressure? If my code is late, my company's quarterly numbers will
suffer, but as long as things are not too bad, we'll get it released
next quarter.

You clearly misunderstand the VC-dominated commercial software
environment. If the VCs liquidate the company after a bad quarter, there
is no "next quarter". In contrast, there will be another launch window
for Mars within the next couple of years.
--
Kevin Willoughby
lid

Imagine that, a FROG ON-OFF switch, hardly the work
for test pilots. -- Mike Collins