Old January 29th 04, 05:53 AM
Kevin Willoughby

Default Rover brains?

In article ,
says...
Uhh...i heard something about extensive use of JAVA.

I'm not quite sure of the extent of "extensive", but yes, Java (not all
upper-case, please) was one of the many, many tools used on MER.

I just hope it wasn't in rover itself.

There is Java code in the rover. So what?

[i]
It's nice for rebootable web-based systems but
can't stand the tought of bloated, buggy code running inside the poor rover.

uh, the first MER lander is rebooting frequently, with (as far as I
understand these things) no reason to blame the Java Virtual Machine.

Java code does not have to be "bloated, buggy code". Virtual machine
architectures are a classic way to to create a small, tight program --
consult Knuth for details.

"Bloated, buggy code" is more common in non-Java environments, e.g., MS
Office running on MS Windows.

Somehow, I'm afraid rover "bluescreened"

"Bluescreen" is a Microsoft-ism. Note that Microsoft is legally
restrained from doing much of anything with Java.
--
Kevin Willoughby
lid

Imagine that, a FROG ON-OFF switch, hardly the work
for test pilots. -- Mike Collins