Old December 5th 04, 09:23 AM
Giancarlo

Default Constellation from SAO number?

Hello,

how can I tell the constellation where a star is, from its SAO number?
I mean: are there catalogs or lists or whatever that tell this?
I have a full SAO file but I can't see this information.

Of course, I may find out this information from the coordinates (RA
and Decl), but this would be very long (if I have hundreds of stars).

One question: coordinates change due to precession, but I understand
that the boundaries (of constellations) change either, so all the
stars remain in their constellation (if proper motion is not
considered - I am talking about precession only). Is it correct?

By the way, the only source where I can find the constellation of
SAO stars is a "star name seller". However, not all SAO stars are listed,
so this is not useful to me.
And I don't need to buy or to name a star in their database :-)

Thanks,

Giancarlo