Old January 24th 04, 11:54 PM
Engr Bohn

Default Moving Hubble close to the ISS.

Good morning,

Hail, MarkMcDonald! We who are about to post salute you.

Hubble is orbiting with a perigee of 584km and an apogee of 618km.

Would it still function if it was manouvred into an orbit matching
that of the ISS (perigee 361km apogee 437km) and parked 100 metres
away from it?

It would make servicing it a lot cheaper because the two missions
(resupply of ISS and servicing of Hubble) could be combined.

I note that HST controls orientation using reaction wheels. This is so
that residue from attitude control jets' exhaust doesn't affect the
imagery (and perhaps to prevent damage to the optics?). ISS' attidue
control and orbit boosting are managed using rocket motors fed
monomethyl hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide.

Keeping ISS near a steady source of rocket exhaust would defeat the
point of those reaction wheels. OTOH, so would reentry...

Take care,
cb

--
Christopher A. Bohn ____________|____________