Old January 24th 04, 03:59 AM
Rand Simberg

Default Moving Hubble close to the ISS.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:50:50 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Jim Kingdon made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Would it still function if it was manouvred into an orbit matching that of
the ISS (perigee 361km apogee 437km) and parked 100 metres away from it?

It would require more frequent reboosts, so it might want to spend
some of its time a bit higher, but especially if it had its own
propulsion added, this wouldn't really be a problem.

The problem with it not being at the same altitude is that the
relative nodes will drift, putting it into a different orbital plane
over time. I suspect that its drag coefficient is less than ISS'.