Old October 31st 07, 07:29 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan
BradGuth

Default ..New Space-Race to the Moon..History is (Tragically) Repeating Itself

On Oct 30, 4:00 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
"Damien Valentine" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 27, 8:06 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
First Bush and his Vision to the moon, then Japan, India
and now China all gearing up to go back to the moon.
...The same reason for Apollo, we were in a ....military...race
with the Soviets.

On the other hand, what has humanity done in space since the end of
the Cold War? Well...we've put up one-and-a-half space stations,
we've got a half-assed heavy booster (which wasn't too reliable to
start with; now it's apparently falling apart at the seams), and
occassionally we've got a billionaire renting some space on the half-
station for a few days.

I say bring on the new Space Race. At least something will happen.

China will be a democracy, and no longer a threat, long before
we have people stationed on the moon. But by then the
program will have spent itself into a committment like
the ISS. We're still building the ISS even though the
original purpose for it has been entirely abandoned.

Too bad the likes of our spendy ISS couldn't have been placed into the
moon's L1, as sort of Clarke Station worthy and efficiently station-
keeping itself within that interactive zone that's always between
Earth and our salty and dirty old moon that's so freaking gamma and X-
ray nasty so much of the time.
- Brad Guth -