Old November 29th 07, 01:11 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.taiwan
Jonathan

Default ..New Space-Race to the Moon..History is (Tragically) Repeating Itself

"robert casey" wrote in message
The Moon's a lousy place to park your nuke bomb missiles. It's a lot
quicker, cheaper and more convenient to use submarines as nuke launching
platforms. Submarines are easily hidden, and they rarely break radio
silence, and they can be ordered (the subs receive only) to sail to the
enemy's coastal areas and take out a few cities or mil targets. You can
buy a lot of submarines for the cost of a few Moon missions.

From Space Command Stategic Statememt for '07

"Americans have come to rely on the unhindered use of
space-they will demand no less in the future. To protect
the space domain and deliver effects, Air Force Space Command
is pursuing investments in an array of capabilities. The United
States is committed to supporting the peaceful use of space
by all; however, prudence demands we ensure our Nation, Allies
and coalition partners have unobstructed access to space
capabilities."

"We know we will be challenged in the future-both by those who wish
to do us harm and by our own resource limitations. It no longer takes a
sophisticated adversary to impact space and ground systems..."

"We have a duty to secure the entire space domain.not just for
our own military.but for our Nation and for the benefit of the
free world. To do this, we must focus our efforts on two
objectives - improved space situational awareness and
enhanced command and control. First, we must achieve true
space situational awareness.the ability to not only track
and catalog any object, but also to determine its capabilities,
purpose and intent. Only when we've obtained a clear picture
of the entire space environment will we fully realize our
second objective - enhanced command and control over
space assets.
http://www.afspc.af.mil/shared/media...070412-128.pdf