Old February 25th 17, 02:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 04:48:23 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Some have extended that to small family groups. Beyond that, none

Quite a few extend that to patriotism.

Regrettably so. The inclination to patriotism is one of the things
that may lead to our demise.

- including humans- consider their entire species.

A few do that, too. Philosophers in particular.

No, not many actually care about their species in any practical sense.

Few are interested in preventing harm to the race. Just look at the
last U.S. election!

That may be _your_ opinion, but others may bellieve they are preserving the
race by voting the way they did.

They are objectively wrong. There is no doubt whatsoever that we are
at greater risk now. What we see is the results of a democracy without
an informed or educated voter base. A failure.

I can't speak for you, but I am engaged in life precisely because
there is no afterlife. That's what gives it meaning to me.

Eat, drink and be merry?

Why not? And with a humanistic viewpoint, so that I operate in a way
that enables others to eat, drink, and be merry as well.