Old October 18th 18, 06:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On 18/10/2018 15:00, Gary Harnagel wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 12:13:12 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter wrote:
Also, an extraterrestrial civilization more advanced than ours is not
a God, they didn't create the universe.

Unsubstantiated assertion which may well be dead wrong.

But if it is wrong then monotheists are completely wrong too. There
would be many billions of these God like ETs around in your scenario.

They are subject to the same natural laws as we are.

Sure, but they would know more "natural laws" than we do. We may be just
peeking into some of those. As I said before, I'm partial to the Ekpyrotic
universe theory wherein something similar to the Big Bang was the result
of our brane colliding with an adjacent brane. It gets around two
difficulties that the standard theory has: it doesn't require that the
universe start from a point and it doesn't need inflation to explain
the uniformity of the early universe.

As I have said before it is possible that we live in some higher beings
simulation of a universe. But if that is the case then they are so far
beyond our reach as to be outside the universe and spacetime.

They are hardly likely to be pulling stunts for a few desert tribesmen.

It also allows that a VERY ancient civilization (from a previous genesis)
could have encouraged the event to have happened so, in fact, they could
have indeed created this universe.

Spontaneous universe-antiuniverse pairs may be able to appear and
eventually disappear in much the same way as virtual particles do in our
universe by borrowing energy from the vacuum for a suitably short time.

Our knowledge of the laws of physics break down when you get too close
to t=0 (although they all work very well) from t=1ps onwards.

GUTs are reckoned to be good back to about 10^-36s and beyond that is
the Plank epoch when our theories are pushed beyond breaking point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono...early_universe

--
Regards,
Martin Brown