Old June 28th 10, 06:40 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Giuseppe N. Gerbore

Default Iridium

"Daniel Minge" ha scritto nel messaggio
I've started looking out for Iridium flares.

I've noticed two things. They don't always flare at the apponted time.
Also their flares appear to be restricted to a certain part of the
sky. Namely in the south east at my location which is Adelaide,
South Australia.

Minge

True.

I always double-check heavens-above.com and callsky.com.
Heavens-above seems to be using more restricting conditions, such as sun
altitude (at least -10 degrees). I estimate a 20% misses.
I noticed that in winter the most frequent flares are SE and NW in summer
(Italy). This might be due to sunset/sunrise time variation.

Giuseppe