Old August 2nd 07, 03:52 PM posted to sci.astro.fits
Bojan Nikolic

Default Question(s) regarding development of proprietary FITS manipulation software. . .

Hi Michael,

The other library that may be worth looking at -- especially in the
prototyping stages and for creation of test data -- is pyFITS. See:

http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/pyfits

Hope that helps,
Best,
Bojan

gberz3 writes:

Hi All,

I'm currently working with a client that needs to manipulate FITS
files. However, they want a 100% proprietary solution. They know the
functionality they need, but they don't know how to code it. That's
where I come in. . .

My question to the group is: What librar(y/ies) would you all
recommend for working with FITS files? Currently I've been looking
at "http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/fitsio/fitsio.html".
It seemed to talk the talk much better than the others, but I have 0
experience with it.

I have literally 0 knowledge of what the FITS format even entails so
I'm asking for reading recommendations as well as any potential coding
pointers, gotchas, or opinions. Just fyi, I have a little over 2
months to complete a rough outline.

Regards,
Michael

--