Old October 10th 03, 05:24 PM
Derek Lyons

Default "short CSM" (was: "Marooned" horrific inaccuracies...?)

(Mike Flugennock) wrote:

In article , James Steven York
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:20:37 -0400,
(Mike
Flugennock) wrote:

At last, the image -- or at least one of them -- that I was looking for
regarding the "short CSM" discussion on the "Marooned" thread.

Would this:
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/b/bigst80s.jpg
from the page
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/spaation.htm
...be what you're thinking of? Half-length SM, no SPS, larger RCS tankage,
as one poster put it, "...a honking big Soyuz"?

I must have looked at that image a million times, and always assumed
that those were simply modular add-ons to the space station. It's
obvious that they're Apollo command modules when you know what you're
looking at, but it just never dawned on me before...

Yeah, it took me a bit of close viewing and the reading of some background
on proposals for Apollo logistics/crew xfer variants before I figured that
out. The CMs _do_ look as if they're rendered a bit too "flat", though, a
bit too short in relation to the diameter of the base of the CM "cone".

Unfortunately for all the angst in this thread, the writeup on the
station is pretty clear that the station was supplied by the Shuttle.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.