Old November 28th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M45 lighter background any better? - M45_lighter_background.jpg

The way I calibrated my monitor a 20 count like here is quite "bright"
and usually shows a lot of noise even in a full CCD image though this
being an uncooled DSLR it is even worse. Still it does show slightly
more nebulosity if that's the goal.

To me, a star cluster belongs on a black velvet like background to make
the "jewels" stand out. When nebulosity is involved then its a quandary
where to set it. I usually error on the dark side. In any case I saw
nothing wrong with the original version.

This is as much art as it is science so to me what the "artist" wants is
what is correct, whether it is to my preference or not.

Rick