Old December 11th 03, 04:51 AM
Jon Berndt

Default Travelling to Mars

"Mervo" wrote in message

I ask, where is there a cape Canaveral launch facility on the red planet
it in order to facilitate a return journey to Earth. Because that's what

would be needed
given a not dissimilar gravity of the two planets.

The acceleration due to gravity on the moon is 1/6 that on earth; on Mars it
is roughly 1/3 that on earth. Both of those are dissimilar.

We are all aware what is need to launch a human into space from earth.
It simply cannot be done with the crafts that took off from the moon.

Similarly
such a craft would not be powerful enough to escape the gravity of Mars.

Nobody is proposing that a lunar module be used on Mars. It would obviously
require the design and construction of a new spacecraft.

Those people who enthuse about manned spaceflight to mars (curiously
enough) never seem to mention this basic problem.

What on earth are you talking about?

Engineering vehicles to accomplish a Mars mission would not be so much a
problem as finding the money to fund it.

Jon