Old November 3rd 14, 07:55 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default Not a good week for space then.

On Sunday or thereabouts, Jeff Findley asked ...
In article , says...

So that is two mishaps with Orbital and Virgin, lets hope the bad luck run
is now at an end.

Does anyone know the details of what SS2 was actually trying to do when it
crashed?

Test flight. Not sure of the actual goals, but they have been using a
new propellant in their hybrid engine. I personally detest large
hybrids as much as large solids. They have many of the same drawbacks
and failure modes.

There is some indication it wasn't the motor, though.

The CBS report of a statement by the NTSB is

quote
But Hart said Sunday that investigators "found the fuel tanks, the
oxidizer tanks and the engine, and all were intact, showed no signs of
burn through, no signs of being breached."

Instead, investigators found video evidence and telemetry indicating
SpaceShipTwo's twin tail booms, known as "feathers," apparently
deployed prematurely.
/quote

Earlier in the report, and perhaps earlier in the presentation,

quote
"What I'm about to say is a statement of fact and not a statement of
cause," Hart said. "We are a long way from finding cause, we still have
months and months of investigation, there's a lot that we don't know."
/quote

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?