Old March 13th 07, 11:13 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Default fun with expendable SSTOs (was The 100/10/1 Rule.)

wrote:
I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying here. Are you
proposing
to make a rocket where structural strengh is provided by pressure in
the
tanks and where this pressure comes from LOX chilled below its boiling
point? If not, maybe it would be a good idea to point out that we
aren't
talking about baloon tanks anymore or that some other gas is inserted
to provide pressure or what ever.

The LOX still boils off to some extent due to contact with the tank
walls, which are warmer than it is.
you simply put a pressure relief valve on the tank set to the amount of
internal pressure you want in it, and it vents the LOX if the pressure
goes above that value in the LOX tank.
These used to give trouble in the early days, as they could frost up and
stick, causing the LOX tank to over-pressurize and rupture.

Pat