Old July 8th 18, 10:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Making astronomy attractive for experimentalists

In popular culture, a constant refrain about the eccentricity of mathematicians due to their apparent high level of intelligence contrasts sharply with their actual lack of common sense in astronomical affairs. How were mathematicians to know that their entire empirical agenda called 'astrophysics' is like a pyramid built on its apex and that only now they are experiencing the extreme mental indiscipline arising from the original flaws ?. Even within the last few decades operating in newsgroups I have seen mathematicians try to treat spiritual matters mathematically and it just looks as foolish as the inability to put astronomical observations in proper context.

There is no reason why any sane person would question the relationship between a sunrise/sunset each 24 hour day with one rotation of the planet but the original empiricists ran with Flamsteed's conclusion that circumpolar motion in tandem with timekeeping represents one rotation and therefore there are more rotations than 24 hour days each year or the astronomical equivalent of 2+2=5

" It is a fact not generally known that,owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time,the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are days in the year" NASA /Harvard

The financial rewards for theorists to maintain the absurdities certainly don't help even if I have no real interest in what they do however they do hijack the term 'astronomer' for astrophysics and mathematical playthings and this is pseudo-intellectual nonsense at the expense of genuine astronomical research in the internet era -

https://www1.salary.com/Astronomer-Salaries.html

I thought some back channel would materialize but obviously it appears that a mathematical mania still prevails.