Old August 21st 03, 03:44 PM
Andre Lieven

Default Gemini 8 reentry

Jan Philips ) writes:
It is well-known that Gemini 8 fired their retros to get control of
the spacecraft, and then reentered. Was there only one firing that
got control of the ship, or was there a second one that actually
brought it down? If there were two, approximately how much time
elapsed in between?

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/history/...mini-viii.html

" The crew regained control of their spacecraft by using the reentry
control system, which prompted an early landing in a secondary landing
area in the Pacific. "

Note that the Reentry *Control* System is not limited to the four
retros. It also includes other hardware and software, including
thrusters that Armstrong used to get out of the spin that the
on orbit thrusters' ( A different system ) malfunction had put
them into.

Mission rules stated that the first use of the Renetry Control System
mandated a near immediate return to Earth. Which they then did.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.