Old October 10th 06, 10:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Scientists teleport two different objects

Wayne Throop wrote:
:
: Am I correct in thinking that this technology is FTL, and not subject
: to any kind of range restriction or interference/ signal blockage?
:
: Can we therefore imagine that some future interplanetary mission might
: take with it a lump of entangled particles (having left the entangled
: 'mates' of those particles back on Earth), allowing the spacecraft and
: mission control to exchange data instantaneously, no matter how far
: away the craft travels?

No. Or rather, you can imagine it (and, eg, Stross did in Singluarity
Sky and Iron Sunrise), but there's not much of a justification for it
in the theory and practice of quantum so-called-teleportation.

Because, in order to accomplish the so-called-teleportation, you
must 1) make a measurement at the souce, 2) send a message about what
you found to to the destination, and finally you can 3) cause the
"quantum state" to "teleport". Note specifically step 2.

Oh, OK thanks. Does anyone know of a decent, layman-friendly
explanation of how this works? Even the wikipedia article on the
subject is full of incomprehensible heiroglyphics...