Old January 9th 05, 08:28 PM
Mark

If our eyes were made out of paper, I might agree, but as Chris notes
they have substantial ability to remove heat. Have you ever boiled
water in a paper cup? Ever heard of it? Could it be that's why a GLP
held point-blank against one's cheek creates no perceptible increase in
temperature?

Nobody said they are harmless toys. Just that the alarmist viewpoints
being adopted by a small minority are not based in fact.

Tim Killian wrote:
Paper ignites at a delivered energy density 10W/cm^2, so even you

will
agree that at 1W/cm^2, some eye damage is _possible_. A 5 mW pointer
beam 1mm in diameter has an energy density of about .64 W/cm^2. As I
said earlier, imperfect optics can easily increase the energy density

of
a pointer above 1W/cm^2 because they only have to shrink the beam by

25%!

These are not harmless toys.