Old September 17th 11, 07:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Mike DiCenso

Default NASA'S Webb Telescope Completes Mirror Coating Milestone

On Sep 14, 8:52*pm, Brian Thorn wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:59:44 -0700 (PDT), Mike DiCenso

wrote:
I think once all the difficult stuff
is done, you'll see a big improvement in how fast things come together
for the spacecraft.

Well, anything would be a big improvement over their past performance
(or lack thereof.)

Now is NOT the time to cancel.

Sure, let's reward incompetence. Again. "You're 800% over budget and
five years behind schedule? No problem, here's another check courtesy
the US taxpayer. Like the check style? It's the same one we used for
International Space Station and the Curiosity rover. Nice, eh?"

This HAS to stop. Make an example out of Webb or we'll never see
another Big Ticket program from NASA come in on budget again.
Guaranteed. They'll have absolutely no incentive to propose realistic
budgets and schedules, knowing NASA will always bail them out.

Too late, Brian. Way too late. This should have been cancelled years
ago, or delayed out into an R&D program for a big space telescope. But
now that we're this far with the damn thing, I want to see it
finished, just like Hubble survived through it's tumultuous
development years and delays. In the end, it was worth all the money
spent and the heartaches.
-Mike