Old December 18th 09, 10:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

Default An Incredibly Rich Star Field in Canis Major

"Davoud" wrote in message
My CCD camera is on its way back from sunny Santa Barbara after having
its filter carousel repaired. Last night, 16 December, was such a rare,
clear night in central Maryland, however, that I had to try _something_
so I placed my Canon 40D on my 106mm f5 Tak refractor and made a
wide-field image of NGC 2359 "Thor's Helmet" in Canis Major. It is
surrounded by one of the richest star fields I have seen.

The page http://www.primordial-light.com/deepsky6.html#thor contains
the full frame reduced to a width of 1024 pixels; there is a link to a
larger image, as well.

That's one nice pic. Why not submit it to APOD?