Old February 3rd 08, 06:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Damon Hill[_4_]

Default The continued use of SRBs for Manned...

Craig Fink wrote in
:

The video shows what happens to a component of the solid fuel that was
considered a non-explosive at the time. Mix it all together, and it's
still a non-explosive? I don't think so. Then put men and women in a
vehicle riding on this, non-explosive, that can't have higher order
detonation, like Ammonium Perchlorate can't? I don't think so.

And you'd be wrong. Channeling Hob Baller again?

Granted, solids have unforgiving failure modes and I'm generally
not happy with Ares 1 as a concept, but the fuel grain won't detonate.
Your simplistic thinking ignores the engineering that went into
the propellant design that makes it very energetic, but stable.

--Damon