Old January 26th 04, 10:17 PM
Timothy Demko

Default Meridiani outcrop

My first impression of the much-talked-about Meridiani outcrop is that
it looks like a fractured, platey basalt flow, maybe even pahoehoe. In
the upper right hand corner of the PanCam image, right at the edge of
the picture, there are some interesting curvilinear features that look
like a ropey surface. On the other hand, I could also convince myself
that those features also look like an oblique section through very
large-scale trough cross-bedding (i.e. in a sandstone)...which would be
very, very cool if it is!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2303L2M1.JPG

However, the image is of fairly low resolution and zooming in too much
just makes it pixelated, of course. Jim Bell said at the briefing today
(1/26) that much higher resolution images will soon be taken for the
"Mission Success" 360 panorama. Hope they get them into a Maestro update
so we can thrash around in 'em, and have fun coming up with more
unfounded speculation!
--
Tim Demko
http://www.d.umn.edu/~tdemko