Old September 3rd 03, 03:04 PM
beavith

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:44:03 -0400 (EDT),
(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote:

Well since we had a good landing on Mars years ago. Why don't we stick
to doing it the proven way? Bert

because the Viking landing method ( aeroshell, parachutes and landing
thrusters) are very mechanically complex and timing sensitive, not to
mention wasteful with mass.

the balloon concept for robot probes is so stupidly simple, well, its
obvious.

seriously, it has its own engineering hurdles (mounting, shock
sensitivity, righting the machine, timing issues, etc.), so its not
THAT simple.

in this case the engineering labs are subscribing to the KISS
principle.