Old February 26th 12, 08:29 PM posted to sci.astro.research
eric gisse

Default New Papers On Planetary-Mass "Nomads" and Planetary Capture

"Robert L. Oldershaw" wrote in
:

[...]

For example, if we wondered whether capture into low-n orbit or
capture into a high-n orbit were more likely, we could use what is
well-known to occur on the atomic scale as a guide to what we might
expect for stellar scale systems. Capture into high-n states is far
more likely. Most of the low-n systems form from the relatively slow
relaxation of high-n systems, not direct capture to low-n states.

Since we haven't seen any evidence that capture is an even slightly
relevant behavior for planetary systems, I'm not sure where you are going
for this.

Besides, there's literally no analogy between atomic state transitions
and planetary orbits.

Using such an analogy as a mere heuristic guide, or using it as a more
formal theoretical assumption, is a free choice. Eventually the
empirical match between analogy and reality determines the true status
of the analogy.

How is there any analogy at all when the dynamical equations of the
system are not anywhere near similar? Schroedinger vs Newton, etc.

It seems more like any commonalities between the two are due to
mathematical similarities in the system solutions, eg with traits similar
to bound orbits and whatnot.

How many times does the analogy have to fail before you sit down and
admit to yourself *it does not work* ?

Best,
RLO
http://www3.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw