Old February 2nd 13, 02:24 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Default Opportunity toaster:( has traveled 22 mars miles

Rick Jones wrote:

I want to see boots on Martian ground in my lifetime (boots with human
feet in them, with the rest of the human there in a suit as well...)

+1

but I am curious about how much it costs to put a rover on Mars for
weeks versus a human geologist for a day. Lets say it takes three
weeks to do with a rover what a human geologist could do in a day. Is
getting a human geologist to Mars (and I presume back again) more or
less than 21X the cost of a rover mission?

The same question that came to *my* mind.

Viking cost about a billion 1970s dollars - adjusted, that's more
than Curiosity [1], I believe.

Apollo ran to ~24 billion 1969 dollars.

Surveyor cost half a billion.

So manned:moon seems to be about 20/30 times more expensive than
unmanned:mars. I'd guess that manned:mars would be an order of
magnitude more expensive than unmanned:mars.

Put it this way: for the cost of a manned Mars mission, you could
put a *lot* of rovers up there.

[1] Other data:
Spirit & Opportunity cost about a billion USD.
Curiosity about 2.8 billion.