Old February 26th 09, 05:17 PM posted to sci.astro.ccd-imaging
Rob[_3_]

Default Suitable computer hardware for astro imaging

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Rob" wrote in
:

Powerful graphics cards may be useful in the future, when special
software will be able to use their massive GPU power for non-graphics
number-crunching, but are only useful if you also want to play the
very latest games at this time. They won't help a jot with the
applications we use as astronomers.

Seti@home uses CUDA on Nvidia GPU's. My GeForce 9800 GTX+ is
crunching workunits as fast or faster than the Core 2 Quad
3.0 Ghz Q9650 that it's installed with.

That's powerful number crunching and it's astronomy, sort of.

Good point, Brian. I used to run seti@home, but didn't know
they'd added this excellent feature to the new version. I must admit
to still getting emails from them, but have not bothered to re-install
for a year or two now. Time to re-join and put my nVidia GPU
to work, too!

Thanks for the info.,
--
Rob (~52N, ~1W)