Old November 27th 05, 12:14 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.astro.amateur,sci.physics

Default science sense and common sense, was Intelligent Design Invading Liberal Classrooms

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
In message , Brian Tung
writes
Androcles wrote:
Radio transmitters emit waves, waves can be focused into beams.
The inverse square law does not apply to Cassini-Huyghens at Saturn

Not so (just in passing).

Empirical evidence will not be denied, despite your protestations.
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-...6E2VQUD_0.html

or to single photons emitted by atoms/ions.
A photon is a wave of short duration, a single cycle.

You have an incomplete understanding of quantum mechanics. A photon
is not a wave. It is not a particle in the Newtonian corpuscle sense.
It has some properties that we commonly associate with both, though.
For instance, like a wave, it has phase and it interferes, but unlike
a wave (though like some particles), it cannot be divided in half, so
to speak, to yield a half-photon. It is not just a single cycle of a
wave.

Photons have an annoying habit of passing through more than one slit
of a diffraction grating used to measure energy.

It is only annoying if you don't do the math. If you do the math, you
find that it behaves completely as expected. The fact that we don't
find it intuitive is not an obstacle to it being so.

Has anyone achieved this using viruses? I know it's been done with
buckyballs http://www.quantum.univie.ac.at/research/matterwave/c60/
Common sense and intuition went out of the window a century ago :-)

I have no tolerance of imbeciles that begin with a personal attack.
I made no attack on Tung, yet the ******* sees fit to tell me I have
no understanding. I told the **** to **** off. End of Tung.
Now...
In passing, why did you say "not so" to my statement
"The inverse square law does not apply to Cassini-Huyghens at Saturn"?
Do you have some evidence, argument, reasoning or other qualification
to your statement, other than assertion?
Androcles.