View Single Post
Old November 1st 18, 10:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher
external usenet poster

Default A better view of direct/retrogrades for Mercury/Venus

On the news this evening it reported that vandals broke windows of a Church in Ireland and the pain of the parishioners was felt across the airwaves but as my country has hopped on the secularist/empiricist bandwagon very quickly such events are inevitable.

I turned the channel to BBC 4 and that Cox chap was explaining how Galileo was the first to affirm the motion of the Earth around the Sun by using the phases of Venus as a guess, this too is vandalism to the principles of astronomy. So I turned to YouTube on the tv and there too was a documentary explaining how Galileo was the first to affirm a moving Earth in a Sun centered system using the motions of Venus (oddly moving in the opposite direction of its actual orbit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWTUOUCLu_Y

I have seen many things over the years, people believing the moon also spins as it orbits the Earth, an Earth with a zero degree inclination and a pivoting circle of illumination, an inability to correlate one sunrise/sunset each 24 hour day with one rotation or indeed the dozens of other careless and silly stories that show no dignity or respect for our ancestors and their achievements.

Even Galileo when he did show the phases and size increases/decreases of Venus as a guiding principle for its motion around the Sun, he could not account for the planet's direct/retrograde motion. The principles are tricky and not as straightforward as the slower moving direct/retrogrades of the outer planets as the Earth's orbital motion is accounted for in a different way .

"Now what is said here of Jupiter is to be understood of Saturn and Mars also. In Saturn these retrogressions are somewhat more frequent than in Jupiter, because its motion is slower than Jupiter's, so that the Earth overtakes it in a shorter time. In Mars they are rarer, its motion being faster than that of Jupiter, so that the Earth spends more time in catching up with it. Next, as to Venus and Mercury, whose circles are included within that of the Earth, stoppings and retrograde motions appear in them also, due not to any motion that really exists in them, but to the annual motion of the Earth. This is acutely demonstrated by Copernicus . " Galileo, 1632, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems

People are seemingly intent in wrecking astronomy including the history of discovery so I come here and present the works of those astronomers like Galileo who achieved something while also demonstrating why their observations need modifications,adjustments and corrections. Not all people can have a zombie nature, even here, so for some they will eventually feel the strain of missing out on what is good and enjoyable expression of human intelligence and spirit.