Old January 12th 13, 05:14 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Martin Brown

Default Patrick Moore keeps his promise

On 12/01/2013 17:03, CD wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:53:10 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

You do need a good tripod and
mount that isn't made out of jelly and sticky tape. Some of the cheapest
toy scopes have really awful mounts making them impossible for beginners
to use and very frustrating to point at an object.

As I found out with the Astrolon thing I got from Aldi. Managed to offload

They do from time to time offer a half decent spotting scope with 80mm
objective. Not perfect for astronomy but it isn't too shabby at lower
magnifications either for the incredibly low price. Tripod is ~OK.

Precision optics are one thing where you get what you pay for!

it on a car boot for £12.50. I'm leaning towards a Dob. if it's good enough
for Brian May...

Astrofest in London is *the* place to go to see what is on offer.
Everybody who is anybody is there (including most years Brian May).
8 & 9th Feb at Kensington EVents Centre according to their website:

http://europeanastrofest.com/conference/

Almost all the kit suppliers and dealers have a stand too so you can see
some really big (ie unaffordable) kit and get 10% off.

http://europeanastrofest.com/exhibition/

I have no connection with Astrofest other than going along most years.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown