Old October 25th 11, 10:45 PM posted to sci.astro.research
eric gisse

Default Tales of Cataloguing II

Phillip Helbig---undress to reply wrote
in :

[...]

I don't know, but maybe the survey was started, or at least planned,
before J2000 became common, so they decided to stick with a common
system rather than risk conversion errors.

Keeping in mind that I am aware that stuff in the sky moves, is there
finally a set way of cataloging things?

The standard appears to change wildly every 20 years or so and personally I
think it'd be nice if there we changed things in a set method in a specific
period of time rather than how haphazard it looks right now.

On that note, as a tech guy, I think it'd be more advantageous to have a
cataloging system that was static in coordinates but could also include
proper motion so that we could have coordinates and an area to look at
using (if available) previously measured drift.

OTOH this is all theory crafting and there's probably a way to do this now.