Old November 11th 07, 06:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Eric[_1_]

Default ASTRO: DSI strangeness

Ok. So since the problem depends on what you're imaging, flat-fielding
wont fix it. That's dumb. I guess the LPI is NOT an interline chip ?

Eric.

Stefan Lilge wrote:
Eric,

the DSI Pro (I have one as a backup-autoguider) has an interline CCD
chip, where odd and even lines of pixels are read after another,
which means that odd lines get a bit more exposure time than even
lines (or vice versa). This is usually no problem on longer exposures,
but makes such cameras a bad choice for short exposures as used for
planets or the moon.
The only way around this is to do 2xbinning, which of course will
lower the resolution of the image. AstroArt has some software filters
to fix the "banding", but this does not work too well.
You could also stack a lot of images, if the field of view shifts a
bit during the series, the "banding" might even out.

Stefan

"Eric" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Eric wrote:

Reposting - forgot to add 'ASTRO'...
Hey folks,

I finally got to looking at some of my DSI-Pro frames from August.
I've got this odd interlacing pattern in my images. I've attached a
typical image here. There's been no contrast enhancing, etc. Just a
shot of Plato. A total of 3 images stacked up, 0.0018 exposure
each. Using Meade Envisage software, no dark or flat correction, 8"
LX200 at prime focus.

Any ideas what would cause this ? I haven't seen it in other DSI
images on the net.

Eric.

"I feel like I am being nibbled to death by a cat" -Londo Molari

--
"I feel like I am being nibbled to death by a cat" -Londo Molari