Old November 19th 04, 06:00 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

For us the observer on Earth the comet's tail is its most important
feature. We see about 10 new comets a year,and without their light
reflecting tail we would see nothing. I always had an idea comets were
asteroids with tails. Reason being there are asteroids that are made of
the same mushy stuff(snow ball structure) What if there are asteroids
following the same type orbits as comets but having no big tail they go
unnoticed? I don't think even Halley's core is very big(don't know its
size) What is the biggest comet core? what is the length of the longest
tail? How long can a comet last? Does the core material stop
evaporating when its far enough away from the sun? How far away? Can we
get a good spectrum from the tails reflected light? Is it white like
steam is white? well white is best against a black background. Bert

nightbat

To answer all your questions see nightbat's " Black Comet " on
these science newsgroups or coming to a friendly book store nearest you.

the nightbat