Old September 18th 03, 08:26 AM
Derek Lyons

Default For Want Of A Bolt

h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

My latest Fox column is up, in which I ruminate on the high cost of
satellites:

From the article:

"But that doesn't explain why similar systems designed for marine use
(the ocean has extremely high positive pressures, and seawater is an
extremely corrosive environment) can be built for orders of magnitude
less."

Please provide a cite of a marine system of the equivalent complexity
and mission of the weather sat with a design lifetime of years or
decades. (Or any marine system with those kinds of lifetime
requirements.)

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.