Old January 2nd 04, 03:43 PM
jeff findley

Default What if we were to design a NEW shuttle today?

Dale writes:
If you want a reusable spaceplane at lower cost that's ready in less
than 20 years, I think it would need to be very different than today's
shuttle. No huge cargo bay, no SSMEs, and lifted into orbit with
an expendable booster. Use the same booster to launch heavy cargo.
At least that commonality might save a few bucks.

I fear it won't save as much as you'd think. At the current price of
getting to LEO, the demand is slipping badly. As a result,
expendables in the US are going to be getting more expensive, not
cheaper.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.