Old May 3rd 19, 11:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule destroyed in abort motor ground test

In article ,
says...

On 2019-05-02 15:42, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Yeah, I saw something on that, as well. What I saw said they were 500
msec away from SuperDraco ignition.

So my theory based on seeing no exhaust out of the engines prior to
explosion on that small phone video wasn't so stupid after all.

Pretty much is still stupid because the crappy cell phone video fueled
idle speculation of non-experts. It was also reported that both NASA
and SpaceX have been reviewing the actual high speed video of the
anomaly which is 1000x better than that cell phone video.

If they know what happens 500ms prior to ignition, they should be able
to get a better idea of what went wrong.

I'm sure they know the exact sequence and they have the test data to go
along with that.

Now it's a matter of putting that together with the high speed video and
go through an actual fault tree analysis of what could have happened and
see how that correlates with the data. You don't just "wing it" when it
comes to an accident investigation.

Are fuel tanks always compressed, or does a valve open to "prime" the
fuel tanks only once engines may be ignited ? (for instance, only
compressing the tanks when crews enter Dragon 2 (before which , the
"eject" function wouldn't be needed/used) ?

I would guess that they're not always pressurized. My guess is that
they're "safed" when they aren't needed, which would mean the propellant
tanks aren't under pressure. But then again, I really don't know. They
may be pressurized at all times.

Both SpaceX and NASA know the answer to that question. That's the
important thing.

Goes on to say: "SpaceX still cannot access the test stand at Cape

Canaveral, Florida, because of toxic fuel contamination."

Aren't there suits and SCUBA units they can wear to retreive some
important debris (such as recorders) and epecially photograph the debris
and their location ?

I doubt NASA is going to put anyone at risk, so the cleanup and
collection of debris and data will be slow and methodical. They're
going to want to document every bit of debris including exactly where it
was found. It's hard to do that when you're in a hazmat suit.

Jeff