Old August 30th 17, 08:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Houston Houston, do you hear me?

On 2017-08-30 07:52, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Actually no. Severe storms only correlate very loosely to warm ocean
waters in general and correlate much more strongly to a strong El Nino

Hurricanes, Cyclones, Typhoons correlate DIRECTLY with warm ocean waters
as this is the fuel which creates them. They are only created over
tropical ocean waters, requiring at least 30° waters to generate the
kind of energy for such systems to be created.

Wrong. Go study up on hurricanes and their formation. If what you
claim is true we would have ever increasingly severe and frequent
hurricanes because of 'global warming'. We don't. Explain.

The wsarmer the ocean, the more frequent very strong
hurricanes/cyclones/typhoos are created.

Again, only loosely correlated.

Thunderstorms, tornoadoes are totally different beasts.

Tell the guy who originally lumped them all together.

Note that Harvey hit shores as a Cat 4. This is not a weak storm and the
winds causes horrendous damage on shores. Just because media is forcus
on urban flooding (easier to cover) does not detract from the damage
done on shores.

Actually in countries like the US winds tend to be the LEAST damaging
component of a hurricane. Other than breaking glass, most structures
will stand up pretty well.

In the case of Sandy, the winds pushed salt water onto lower Manhattan,
flooding telecom infrastructure (Verizon decided to ditch all copper
instead of trying to fix it), and ruined railway tunnels. Salt water
doesn't come from rain.

This ain't Sandy and even that behaving the way it did was an anomaly.
See Hurricane Irene that hit the same area for an example. The
biggest problem created by storm surge from Harvey is that it prevents
the FOUR FEET of rain from draining.

-- Thomas Jefferson